The immigration process to enter Cambodia is easy, modern and welcoming, probably the best in the Southeast Asian region. Keep this in mind:

  • You have to present your passport for at least six months validity.
  • You need a return ticket (no one-way ticket is valid)
  • You will get a single entry. If you plan to visit different Southeast Asian countries, plan in such a way that you don’t have to enter Cambodia twice, otherwise you will have to pay for two visas.
  • Citizens of countries that need a previous visa to enter Cambodia, can request it at the nearest Cambodian embassy.


For more countries, obtaining a visa is not mandatory before traveling to Cambodia. In fact, you can apply for the visa upon arrival. Your passport must be valid for at least six months at the moment of your entry to Cambodia.

International airports

  • Phnom Penh International Airport (PNH).
  • Siem Reap International Airport (REP).
  • Sihanoukville International Airport (KOS).

Sea International port

  • Sihanoukville Autonomous Port (PAS): Arriving from cruise ships.

Mekong River International entry point from/to Vietnam

  • Kaam Samnor international entry point – Kandal province

The Cambodia-Vietnam border

  • O Yadaw international entry point – Ratanakiri province
  • Trapeang Phlong international entry point – Kompong Cham province
  • Trapeang Srer international entry point – Kratie province
  • Bavet International (road) entry point – Svay Rieng province
  • Banteay Chakrey international entry point – Prey Veng province
  • Phnom Den international entry point – Takeo province
  • Prek Chak international entry point – Kampot province

Cambodia-Thailand border

  • Chuam international entry point – Udorn Meanchey province
  • O’Smach International (road) international entry point – Udorn Meanchey province
  • Poipet international entry point – Banteay Meanchey province
  • Daung Lem international entry point – Battambang province
  • Psar Prum international entry point – Pailin City
  • Cham Yeam (road) international entry point – Koh Kong province

The Cambodia-Laos border

  • Dong Kralor International entry point – Stung Treng province

Countries that need previous visa to enter Cambodia

Nationals of the following countries are required to apply for a visa before traveling to Cambodia: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, and Sudan. The request has to be made at the Cambodian embassy or consulate in their home country. The electronic visa (e-visa) does not apply for these citizens.

Nationals for the following countries are exempted from the visa obligation for stays with a duration of 21 to 30 days in Cambodia: Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia.

Visa upon arrival

Tourists and businessmen can apply for a visa on the spot by producing the following documents:

  • A passport which has to be valid for at least six months following their stay in the country.
  • A recent passport-size and color photo (5 x 5 cm.)
  • Due visa fee.
  • A duly filled and signed application form.
  • Pay a departure tax (applying to all domestic and international flights).
  • Eventually the authorities can ask visitors to demonstrate that they have enough funds for their stay in the country and the return ticket.
  • For E, EB, ER, ES and K, supporting documents to state your condition.
  • B Visa (NGOs) are not provided upon arrival. Request it at the Cambodian embassy or at the immigration office providing the letter of invitation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Visa types

  • Tourist visa (T) – 30 days stay.
  • Electronic visa (e-visa) – 30 days stay.
  • Business visa (EB) – for expats intending to stay for long periods. Notice that this visa does not allow you to look for work. If you get employment, you will need to request the work permit with the immigration police.
  • Retirement visa (ER) – if you are in retirement, you can request this visa showing your documents and evidences that you can support yourselves. It is for stays between 1 and 12 months.
  • Student visa (ES) – If you come to Cambodia to study, show your documents of inscription and letter of invitation from the school. For stays between 1 and 12 months.
  • Khmer parents visa (K) – children of any Cambodian national that have foreign passports, can claim this visa – they have to demonstrate it (birth certificate or any other document.)
  • NGO & officials’ visa (B) – free visa for NGO’s personnel, including volunteers. Notice that the NGO has to be registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Diplomat visa (A).
  • Courtesy visitors (C).

Visa fees

  • Single-entry visa fees for tourists (T) which is valid for 30 days – US$ 30.
  • Single-entry visa fees for business travelers (E) which is valid for 30 days – US$ 40.
  • Overstaying a visa cost $5 USD per day.

Visa extension

Tourists (T) and businessmen (E) are eligible for a visa extension. The request has to be made at the National Police Department.

  • For one more: $45.
  • Three months: $75.
  • Six months: $155.
  • One year: $285.

Diplomats (A), official (B) and courtesy visitors (C), for their part, have to make the request for an extension at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Immigration Department.

The single-entry tourist visa can be extended only once for a maximum of one month. A business visa can, on the other hand, can be extended for one month (single-entry), three months (single-entry), six months (multiple-entries) and one year (multiple-entries). Any violation of these conditions is liable to a fine of US$ 5 a day.

Airport taxes

All passengers (Cambodians and foreigners) departing from Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville International Airports by international or domestic flights, must pay the PSC (Passenger Service Charge). It is included in the ticket with the code KX:

International flights

  • Adult (older than 13 years old): US$ 25.
  • Child (under 12 years old): US$ 13.
  • Infant (under 2 years old): Exempted.

Domestic flights

  • Adult (older than 13 years old): US$ 6.
  • Child (under 12 years old): US$ 6.
  • Infant (under 2 years old): Exempted.


%d bloggers like this: