Khmer Language Learning Next Season at Don Bosco Kep
Dear all, we are near the opening of a new season of Don Bosco Kep Khmer Language Learning for foreigners based in the Kingdom of Cambodia. Kep Province is probably a great environment to learn Khmer:
- It is an peaceful, beautiful, eco-friendly place with beaches, islands, hills, National Park, caves, pagodas, fisher villages, salt production, crabs and rice fields.
- Studying at Don Bosco means to have the opportunity to practice with Cambodian young people and get the best Khmer Conversation from the most authentic Cambodian rural communities.
Here some orientations for your peruse:
1. You can make your inscriptions during your first day of classes (October 4). Please reserve your place writing an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can attend a free lesson starting on October 4. Inscriptions can be in this way:
- Pay the full amount for the 3 months course ($200) – photocopies included.
- You can pay per lessons (1 day) if you intend to take only some lessons. 1 day $4 – photocopies are not included.
- You can negotiate the total amount of the course if you only want to take a part of the course.
2. The course will have the following characteristics:
- It will have two periods (after the recommendations of some of you (originally it were 3 periods), we concentrate in 2 periods:
- First period Khmer Conversation (some of you will be highly interested in this period): 8:15 – 9:30.
- Second period Reading & Writing: 9:45 – 11:00.
- Lessons are strictly in English as linked language. Third languages are banned during lessons’ time at least all students and the instructor speak such third language.
3. If you are interested in residing inside the Don Bosco Kep campus, we have some rooms at the Salesian House. It is $100 per month. It does not include meals. Please reserve it with time if you are interested in such option.
4. Please get also a USB to copy the audios of Hufman, especially those interested in Khmer Conversation. It is 54 audios indicating the page of the book. It will help you very much to improve.
5. The books:
- Khmer Conversation: “Modern Spoken Cambodia” by Hufman.
- Khmer Writing & Reading.
- Watch Cambodian TV, listen Cambodian radio, watch Khmer movies… it will help you very much (during lessons I will give you some recommendations).
- You will study at Don Bosco Technical School and Children Fund. It means you will have many youth around. They are the best teachers. Profit the opportunity and practice with them each lesson you get.
- Even if you are not interesting in read and write, I recommend you to get to know the Khmer Alphabet. It will be useful for your mission and work in Cambodia. Some basic reading will be very much of help.
- Do your homework… In the school I have two names: Fr. Samnang and Fr. Homework… you will get to know why.
- My Khmer assistant will be Teacher Mathsuot… but we will know many other people you will love. Ask questions even out of class.
- Promote the course with other foreigners. It will fill the lessons with many interesting people. Talk about it in your networks. Recommend the experience.
- We will use a lot Internet resources. Profit it.
- Forget the logic of your own language.. welcome to a new word of thinking…
Enjoy your course and I hope you will get it useful for your stay and work in the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Yours and blessings,
Ly Samnang (Albeiro Rodas) – Social Communicator, Journalist, MA Digital Communication.