Motorcycle theft, burglaries and robbery in Kampot Town
Kampot Town is becoming insecure, at least in the last months with reports on motorcycle theft, burglaries, robbery and bag snatching, victimizing especially expatriates, according to reports. The inaction of local authorities after reports has led to the creation of a Facebook page to denounce criminal events (see Kampot Crime Noticeboard). According to his creator, the board was created as a response to the “escalation of criminal activity directed toward foreigners living in Kampot and surrounding communities.“
Khmer Times wrote this weekend that expats have met with municipal authorities and police officials to discuss “the growing fears over theft and robbery” in Kampot, but it did not elaborate much about such meeting. Local Police is being criticized for their little action on the criminal wave and the release of three suspects that hit and stole 120 dollars from an American resident.
Expatriates are denouncing a recurrent situation of night assaults by always youngsters hunting foreigners walking on dark streets, the lost of motorbikes, burgles and other actions that are diminishing the attraction of the Kampot Town that has been known for its peaceful atmosphere.
- Although there is an idea that local authorities would do nothing, do not skip the due denounce. It is the only way to ask justice. If you don’t denounce, authorities could deny any undergoing criminal action by guns.
- Report it also in social media to prevent other expats and locals from situations. The group Kampot Crime Noticeboard is a good initiative to start.
- Try to get identities of suspects, take photos if it is possible, denounce businesses that seem to work together with criminals.
- Don’t walk alone through empty or dark streets.
- Don’t bring valuable things with you.
- Get information about rental places of motorbikes and bicycles. Some places with low reputation could be the responsible of the thefts on their own customers.
- Get familiar with your neighbors, locals and expats, to prevent burgles. Increase security measures in your dwelling place, specially if you live alone.
- Take care with who do you bring to your place. Don’t trust people so easily.